Thursday, April 03, 2008




"Do not stand at my grave and weep. I'm not there, I do not sleep.
I'm a thousand winds that blow. I'm the diamond glint on snow.
I'm sunlight on ripened grain. I'm the gentle rain.
When you awaken in the morning hush, I'm the swift uplifting rush.
Of quiet birds in circled flight. I'm the soft stars that shine in the night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry. I'm not there. I did not die."




Not sure who wrote this, but it's been one of my favorites for over 10 years. I found it again tonight while looking for quotes about a "New Day"-
seems fitting for this post.

I know, when a person dies, they are gone...separate from us in the day to day grind of taking kids to school, cooking dinner, and folding laundry. Yet- I also know that something of those "lost" - they live on in us in many ways- my friend Foamy said it best.

This post is a deep breath. A pause. A moment to reflect. I am alive, I am well, I have thought, strength, and love- and those things endure, even after the body has expired.
What a powerful realization- that some part of us lives on- even when we are gone.

I can smile. I can sleep. I can dream. I can work. I can be me. I can leave a legacy. We all can, and we all DO--- everyday.

I recently told someone who asked me, "What do you want to be remembered for?"

my reply...

"For the words I write, and the love I gave away."

Amen~

No comments: