Sunday, March 13, 2011

For the people of Japan~

We, Bloggers in particular, are part of a global community.   It's an interesting bond we have here...a place where we are connected primarily through words and ideas.   Friendships are created which can have as much, or as little impact, as we choose.  It's been surprising to me over the years how many people I have come to care for and even love via this medium.    

A blog friend I've known for several years lives in Japan and is close to the area affected by the earthquake.   Thankfully he wasn't in the heart of the devastation, but he's close enough to be enduring shortages of basics we take for granted.   As of this morning one  news report said as many as 10,000 people are missing from one town alone.    My heart breaks for the people of Japan.

Here's some info about how to make donations.   Please help if you can.   For me the earthquake is personal, as is any event that happens where my blog friends are.   

I hope it's a beautiful day where you are today~ 
Hugs and love to each of you.

Several relief agencies have ways people can contribute to disaster relief in Japan following the devastating earthquake and tsunami.

Call 1-800-RED-CROSS for English or 1-800 257 7575 for Spanish. Or call the Knoxville Red Cross office at 865-584-2999.

Text donations

Red Cross: You can text "Red Cross" to 90999. This will add a $10 donation to your cell phone bill.

Salvation Army: Text "Japan" to 80888 to make a $10 donation. A one-time donation will appear on your cell phone bill. Please respond "YES" to the thank you message you receive.

Online donations

The Red Cross accepts donations online on its website or by mail with a form you can print and include with your check. Information on matching gift donations is also available.

Save the Children is also taking donations to help. has launched a Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund. It works with other organizations such as the International Medical Corps.

You can donate online to the non-profit Convoy of Hope.

Checking people's status

The Red Cross is one agency that hosts a website where people can register themselves as "safe and well" after a disaster. Family members can check this site as well to see who has registered.

The State Department also has contacts for U.S. citizens in Japan who need help, or people concerned about U.S. citizens there. Email or call 1-888-407-4747 or 202-647-5225.