Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Magic of Love Letters

(edited for length on 11-1-07)

I got one in my mailbox today...a love letter ♥ :)
When was the last time someone took a few minutes to find a pen and paper to tell you they loved you?

And Vice/Versa?

I love "love letters/notes"-





oth to write them and to get them :)


-
I have dozens (hundreds?) of letters and cards stowed away in my office and I can not bring myself to throw them out. Each are like a little treasure. Each are a gift in themselves. Each note/card marks a distinct moment or season in my life that was made richer by a person who was walking a similar path. Or felt a common bond. Or took the time to listen (which is the first step in the process of love) and found a sister, or a friend, or kindred spirit in me.

My beloved friend wrote, "You will always have a room in my heart- just for you, that no one else can fill." Those words brought tears to my eyes because I know how deeply her words are felt, and how similar things have been said by others- but simply weren't true. Or were only true for a season. I am gulity of the same.

Love letters remind us of the sand castles we built in the past, as well as show us the foundation of the fortress we reside in presently. Love letters are history in the making. Our history. Shared words reveal the complex threads of the heart and soul entwined around the mind and spirit.

Pen, paper, and love are the ingredients of magic.

A few times in my life I have been swayed by the power of words and words alone. I didn't need to meet the writer to love him or her any more deeply than I already did. Their words were enough. In my heart I feel sure that Emily Dickinson and I would be the best of friends :)


Anyway- the letter I got today in the mail came exactly when I needed it. This is of course what makes love letters magical...they know when to arrive :) Have you ever gotten a love letter at a bad time???

My goal in the coming 2 weeks is to WRITE several love letters- to people who've been on my heart- to friends I've not made time for- and to (elderly) family who check their mail everyday with a tiny hope that they will be remembered by their relations.

Love letters are about love- not about sex or steamy passion (though they can be ;). They are mostly about stolen moments, honesty, and fleeting memories of beautiful encounters...either in the past , or moments you hope for in the future.

Love letters are for kids you adore, family you don't see very often, lovers you miss, and for friends wherever they are. Love notes are about appreciation.
It's that simple...anyone you love and appreicate deserves to be told so. Spouses are included :)
-
"For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it."
- Ivan Panin
-
Here's to love- and love letters :)

26 comments:

Libby said...

great post, cora! i got a 'love letter' 20 years ago that i'll never forget...i still see the person now, and am reminded of his kindness now!!

Anonymous said...

You know what? this post is beautiful and it has made me remember just how lovely a hand written love note can be. I'll buy some pretty paper and write some notes as well.

what a wonderful thing to post about :)

p.s am still loving your photo!

Anonymous said...

<3

/t.

UBERMOUTH said...

Beautiful post.

leelee said...

agreed,,,that was beautiful.

darkfoam said...

there's nothing like a handwritten love note..
i am so terribly, terribly bad at those..
good for you for being good at those.

Mayden' s Voyage said...

Libby- that is exactly what I mean...
All those letters from friends- they left an impression I will never forget- even if it was love that only lasted a little while- it means everything to me~

Betty-
I am so glad I inspired you :) I am writing love notes to my nephews this evening :) Hugs friend :) And if you saw me in person everyday- you would see all the bad hair moments- and I hope you would still like me! lol ;)

/t
Love to you too :)

Uber- thank you. I left you a note...

Leelee- thank you :) Hey- I have your address :) You never know what might end up in your mailbox! :)

Foam- I can't begin to tell you how many hundreds of letters I've written in the last few years. Sigh...I have let it go in place of the blog- and I need to fix that.
Hugs friend :)

The Phosgene Kid said...

I sende Mrs. Phos cards all the time. I got in the habit when we were apart, now that I don't have to leave any longer I just kept it up.

leelee said...

I love surprises! ;-)

Behind Blue Eyes said...

I got one this morning in my e-mail. It was a person I don't see much that is having problems and it was such a compliment that they thought of me as being someone to go to when you need to talk. If everyone wrote one love letter a day, the good in the world would increase exponentially.

X. Dell said...

I consider just about all good snail mail love letters, especially the ones from my mother.

I agree there is something a bit more palpable, visceral about actually getting something in the mail, something that e-mail will never replace, I believe.

I'm sure you'll get more love letters in the future--maybe one or two from New York.

Electro-Kevin said...

I shouldn't admit it but Oooh !

What a lovely blog, Cora.

xxx

sparringK9 said...

there'd have to be a whole hotel of rooms only you could fill to accomodate the all the people that love you girl, and that aint no smoke blowin either. youre the real deal. (even in the ether)

glad you got a letter! now i need to write some (just like everybody who read this post today! ) have a great weekend

Sean said...

thanks for expanding my views on what constitutes a "love letter".

david santos said...

My friend, Please!

Send an email to the Brazil embassj your country and repor the injustice that the brazilian courts are making with this girl
Release on Flavia’s accident and status of the process.

The resignation is to stop the evolution. (David Santos in times without end)

Thank you

Crushed said...

The answer, sadly, is a very long time ago indeed.

exskindiver said...

hi cora.

Scary Monster said...

Me cannot STOMP on this one Mrs.C.
Letters of friendship do much more for me than romantic notes.

SKIP.

Aunty Belle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aunty Belle said...

HEy Puddin'...delightful post. I think folks is right--nuthin' like a real tangible letter--so when ya open and read it, ya's touching what yore loved one touched too---a real connection.

Write that note ya been meanin' to write, ya'll..jes' tonight I learned of a former neighbor who died--young. Ain't seen her in a year...used to see her daily. Never knewed she was sick. But all along I could have written a note jes' to say "How ya doin'?"

Mayden' s Voyage said...

Whew!!! It's been wild and wooly around here since last Thursday! :)


PHOS- Ohh- Sigh- you big old Romantic you! I would hug you if I could reach you ;) That is just the sweetest stuff...sorry to get mushy on you :) But I LOVE it :)

Leelee- I know :) Me too~ hugs :)

Blue Eyes: I really adore the idea of writing one love letter a day...even if it's a note slipped into the kids, or hubs, lunches...it is a wonderful idea!

X- I admire how you treasure the notes from your mom- my own notes from my mother are few and far between. I don't think, other than cards on my b-day- I'll ever have another letter from her. Makes me sad when I think about it~
I need to confirm that your address is the same :) Hugs friend- thanks for being here.

Kev- beware...you might get a "love note" email! lol :) Heaven forbid you get one in your mailbox! Try explaining that to the wife- lol :D

She- friend- you are too kind...and I am way overdue sending you something in the mail-
I send lots of love hough- presently I am swamped beyond reason with Da Pixie wanting to try out for basket ball this season- Ahhhh :0!!!

Sean- anytime friend :)

Scary Monster said...

Me went out and bought some stationery.
Hmmm, handwritten STOMPS...

Enemy of the Republic said...

You are so kind.

Helene said...

I almost didnt recognize this place with the new look! Lovely!

Your post was wonderful. I think that love can be so fickle yet that cant discount the passion of it and its meaning at the time it was being felt!

Sending love your way hun! xo

Skunkfeathers said...

This post almost makes me sad. For I have not a single love letter in the sand. Nor a snippet of love letters, sent or received from the past.

I have only...the undying affection from a plethora of email scammers who'd love to screw me over.

Dang, I'm becoming a love cynic ;)

You keep the love letters, Mayden. For you, they are the music of life. And there, it is sweet ;-)

The Phosgene Kid said...

I used to be an avid letter writer, especially when I was deployed. Now not so much. I think e-mail has made me lazy.