Thursday, August 22, 2013

Rilke...



This poem has touched me so much over the last few days- especially this last part,
Oddly enough, I wasn't sure who I was thinking of sharing it with when I first read it.
Now, I am beginning to believe, I to say it to my self.  
To be able to say this ABOUT myself.
To embark on a journey where I am, and must be, TRUE to me.






I want to mirror your image to its fullest perfection, 
never be blind or too old
to uphold your weighty wavering reflection. 
I want to unfold.
Nowhere I wish to stay crooked, bent; 
for there I would be dishonest, untrue. 
I want my conscience to be 
true before you;
want to describe myself like a picture I observed 
for a long time, one close up, 
like a new word I learned and embraced, 
like the everday jug, 
like my mother's face, 
like a ship that carried me along 
through the deadliest storm.

4 comments:

Skunkfeathers said...

Being true to oneself is the only way to begin any journey. Thus begun, it is easier to remain true to others.

dianne said...

So beautiful dear Mayden, the words of Rilke always touch my heart and should always be shared.
xoxoxo ♡

J Cosmo Newbery said...

We all must be true to ourselves. But we must make ourselves something worth being true to, too.

X. Dell said...

Geez. I've been too much of a cyberghost lately.

(1) My deepest condolences on your mom's passing. I know from your posts here and our personal conversations how devoted you were/are to her. I also know about how well you cared for her. She was indeed a lucky woman to have such a daughter.

(2) It's good to know you can find something of yourself in poetry or other manifestations of the muse. I would suggest looking into a lot of them (either that or a lot of mirrors).

To me, the true gift that a mirror can give you is when it shows you a part of yourself that you never knew existed.